PLM is enterprise tool and eventually a major part of employees will have a task to do in PLM Tool. Normally PLM Tools provide User account management modules where organizations broadly call it as People and Organization.
User Roles and Responsibilities are well defined in most of the organization and PLM implementation starts with configuring Access for users. But my experience with PLM Implementation project is something confusing.
PLM Tools are deployed as a independent tool. Then administrators start creating user accounts and then roles and then assigning them to on demand basis in some cases organization go for single sign-on or LDAP integration which is another project in itself.
Though this feature has complexities involved, should PLM Vendors not provide a handy way to integrate organization users with ease of operation? Following are thoughts on the way it should be.
- After installing PLM Tool in production environment, PLM Tools should have a wizard to integrate available network users directly into PLM Tool.
- It should just have a list of users available in Organization which can be seen from PLM Tool.
- PLM Tools should provide creation account button/command against each user, which should take administrator to user creation and configuration wizard.
- This wizard should be configuration so that it can fetch data related regarding his reporting and department structure so that account approval processes can be integrated within PLM itself.
- Like we get task for approvals in PLM, it should be another task to approve user account and assign role by his manager.
If PLM Tools have this type of feature they will provide following benefits.
- Adding a user friendly feature to PLM for user accounts.
- Complete tracking of user accounts.
- Automation of workflows with available information within other tools in organization.
- Quality time to invest on other PLM admin activities.
- Managers being informed and aware of subordinate’s access and roles.
- Reduction in gap of understanding of a functional user of tool and administrator of a tool.
I hope that I see such future in coming days.
thanks and regards